Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jicama Apple Slaw

For the love of food....if you do nothing else tomorrow....take your self to the store and buy some jicama and whatever else you don't have from this recipe and MAKE THIS SALAD!! Salad slaw whatever you want to call it......it's U-STINKEN-MAZING....it's fresh, it's light, it's refreshing, it's filling and wonderful.

I've seen a bunch of different recipes with cabbage and jicama and I've heard of apple and jicama but usually with some sort of mayonaisey sauce on it....and who wants something light and crisp and delicious with mayo on it....not me!! So I came up with this the same way I come up with most things I make.....I read 1937 recipes then I put all the stuff I like together to come up with my own.

Don't get me wrong....jicama is divine on its own.....but THIS....well.....oh....just go to the store and buy some jicama...if you like apples you will like jicama!!

*chanting* must make this slaw....must make this slaw...you are getting sleepy.....must make this slaw.....*snap* now go to the store!!

1 whole jicama (the size of a cantaloupe) peeled and sliced in long skinny strips
1 large apple, peeled and seeded, cut into long skinny strips
1/2 cup (packed) cilantro, diced fine
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 orange, diced
1 lime zested and juiced
3 T rice wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T olive oil
1 T honey

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss well. Serve immediately or chill and let the flavors mingle and hang out with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment